THE FOX GOT YOU PROJECT
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Fox Got You is an art and science project celebrating six common plants which are at the origin of five major medicinal drugs:
- Foxglove and the drug Digoxin for the treatment of heart arrhythmia.
- Goat’s rue and the drug Metformin for diabetes.
- Yew and the cancer chemotherapy drugs Paclitaxel and Docetaxel.
- Autumn crocus and the drug Colchicine for gout.
- Meadowsweet, willow and Aspirin.
Plants feed us but they can also save lives. Françoise Sergy is a photography artist. As it happens, she is diabetic and the drug Metformin is part of her treatment. She started the project as a way of saying thank you to the plant goat’s rue, which indirectly keeps her alive. She brought together the people involved at each stage of the journey from plants to drugs. Her artwork was first exhibited at the University of Oxford Botanic Garden. You can discover the complete project on this website.
Even today, with our urban and high tech lives, we are still made and changed by nature. Plants and their habitats should be valued and kept, because the natural world belongs to them, not to us.
FOR FURTHER INFO PLEASE GO TO http://www.foxgotyou.uk/